10.01.2012

Day 1 - 31 Days of Halloween!

Welcome to day 1 of the 4th annual 31 Days of Halloween. You should have gotten here from Terra's blog, but if you haven't been there yet, be sure to hop on over there to get all the details for the hop and all the info about today's prizes! Also, keep in mind that the hop goes live at 9AM 9PST) every day, so if you start early you might not get to see all of the day's posts. Be sure to check back after it officially starts for all the Halloween goodness! You don't want to miss it - we've got awesome sponsors all month long with awesome giveaways. We also have a HUGE grand prize from Smeared Ink!

To kick of the hop I wanted to give you something special, so I am sharing a Halloween decoration that I made for the Halloween SWAP over at the Smeared and Smudged forum. My item started as a raw wood four sided frame. The frame spins on the base. I just had to have this to alter - I bought it.

So the first think I did was cover the wood in Gesso. Then I mod podged some tissue paper all over to create the texture that you'll see below. Then - I painted it all black.


While it was drying I stamped my grave yard scenes from Holy City (a Smeared Ink set) onto some tissue paper and then glued it to the glass (i should have just stamped on the glass, but I was too worried I'd smear it or something). I then sprayed the outside of the glass with frosted glass and then dripped black ink down the tops of them. For that I used my Dylusions spray inks.



The last steps were to glue on my blackened flowers and skull to the top of the frame and then add my strobe light to the inside. The strobe light lights up the inside so that the grave scenes light up like there is a lightning storm! Hope you like it! And I hope TRISHA likes it - since I made it for her :)





Now off you go to the next Wicked Blogger, Kristy! The hop list is on my side bar in case you get lost! Be sure to leave everyone some love to qualify for the grand prize...and keep your eyes open for the scavenger hunt clue!!

31 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! I live to re-purpose items and this is delicious and so inspiring. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! If she doesn't, I do!!! I love that frosty, ethereal look of the graveyard scenes. GORGEOUS Tori!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just lovely, Tori! Great way to kick off the event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh...I love this! I like that you stamped on tissue paperinstead of the glass...it's spookier that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tori this is outstanding. I love it.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool! Love the idea to make it look like lightening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tori,
    This looks like a whole lot of work! But it sure did pay off! This is just wonderful! I want one!! LOL! You have done a stupendous job her miss thing! Love it!
    Peace,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your project
    I would never have thought about using a strob light for special effect lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the coolest thing I have ever seen! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wickedly awesome! I'm sure your swap partner loved it! Eh....where's mine?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cool. What glue did you use to stick tissue paper to the glass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I used glossy accents to stick the tissue to the glass :)
      I use that stuff for everything! LOL. Probably even when I shouldn't!

      Delete
  12. Cool! I like the tissue in place of the glass...that's a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous project!! LOVE the stamped graveyard!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are soooo creative. I think stamping on the paper and applying it is head and shoulders above stamping on the glass. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cool entry first out of the gate! Off to a great start! Have you tried lighting it up? you could use those battery operated tea lights to be safe. I bet that would look super neat! This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my! that is freaking awesome!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awesome love it
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the inside of the box, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The word gorgeous doesn't make justice to this piece. I am in love the dripping paint and that beautiful flower.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really really love this.. Very cool

    ReplyDelete
  21. like the grave scene stamped images and super cool skull on top!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Totally amazing! love the texture and pop of color. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what a suitably spooky Day 1 project, really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! This is absolutely stunning love it
    Lindsay xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. hey, if she doesn't like it, then send it my way! wonderful job!!! love the idea of using tissue paper for texture.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous - I love this :-) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE your altered box! You did a fang-tastic job on it! You Rock and I can't wait to see what else you come up with! Love Ya and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this!! Its so cool and creative and dark, its the first thing I've seen from this blog hop and I love it

    ReplyDelete