3.15.2012

MIXED-MEDIA MASH UP - MARCH MEMBER BLOG HOP!

It's that time again! Time for the Smeared and Smudged member blog hop. The theme this month is MIXED-MEDIA MASH UP! We were asked to step outside our comfort zones and become a mixed-media artist! There are many techniques and tutorials that you can find on Smeared and Smudged if you'd like to try some out as well! We have the Mixed Media University Group as well as an entire page dedicated to tutorials. Come check it out! 

Here is my offering for today...



I chose to work on a small square canvas. The canvas was already black (bonus!) so my first step was to add some texture to it. This is where I used my rubber stamp from Urban Decay (Smeared Ink). I heat embossed it in a gold embossing powder and then added some silver paint pen to highlight the edges. While my paint pen was drying I worked on my other pieces. I used a couple of die cuts that were sent to me from my Secret Sister Valentine (thanks, Monique!) and colored them up. The piece on the to and the cog was colored with my silver paint pen to make them look metallic. I used some blue distress ink on my skull's edges and then highlighted it with the silver paint pen as well.




I set those to the side and started working on my canvas again. I cut out some strips of aluminum (up-cycled a soda can), added some brads, and roughed them up with some sand paper. Then, I super glued them to my canvas. 



I also super glued some small washers to the corner....then I took some black acrylic paint and went over the entire canvas. Before it dried, I wiped away most of the black from my metallic pieces. This gave them a pretty worn look. All of this was inspired by a video that was posted in our Mixed Media group (again, thanks Monique!). 

So, next i used my paint brush and dry-brushed the black acrylic paint over my cog and top piece so they would also look worn...the I added my string and glued the rest of my piece to my canvas. 



This was really easy to do and didn't take me long at all....and I'm actually very pleased with the outcome. Thanks for stopping by - now off you go! The blog roll is below.

March Smeared and Smudged Member Hop
Blog Roll
Tori
Black Dragon
MaryKay
Madeleine Bouquet
Jane
Ike
Dianne
Monique
Lady Brayton

16 comments:

  1. Very cool, Tori! I need to get back to the forum and play around a bit Love this. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome! I love all of the different elements, and the worn look that comes across.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Tori. love all the different elements xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tori,
    I love how your small canvas piece turned out! Love the cog over the one eye, great job!
    Peace,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing and you make it sound so easy. Love what you did with this. The whole metallic look is brilliant. :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... Your canvas turned out awesome! Looks like you had a lot of fun! Hugs and Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tori I LOVE this...awesome!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! So much work, but a beautiful, creative piece. Thanks for inspiring me.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow this is so awesome! I love the colors and design so much Great project!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the metallic look Tori..... the embellishment across the top and the tags are gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow love the way you used the die cuts I send you, great job the canvas is really awesome

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking at this canvas Tori no one would believe you're the queen of last minute makes.... Beautifully made... fantastically worn... and its got a skull on...what more could an old dragon ask for?
    Oh.... and its got the recycled elements...SPOT ON!
    oxoxo BDx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tori, it always amazes me that you are able to produce something this good in no time at all. All that texture and those techniques put together in such an awesome way on this little canvas. TFS. Hxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok Tori this is the 3rd time I've tried to leave a comment on this. I click to add it and it disappears inside the transmission highway somewhere. anyway that lil canvas you made is awesome. I like how you made the eyeball a cog like that. faux metal look is great. I always like black and silver metal. great combo. thanks for the awesome blog hop theme this time. enjoy your evening

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your skellie canvas! The texture is amazing and I love the metal bits. I especially love how you extended items off the canvas. Looks amazing, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great canvas, love the size! What wonderful elements you've added, really like the little washers and the soda can bits. and of course that skull is my fave :)

    ReplyDelete